Tuesday, 12 April 2016
No. The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology has reported that the fluoride ion is too small in size to serve as an allergen. Some people can be allergic to flavouring agents in toothpaste such as mint.
Any suspicion of an allergic reaction should be discussed with a medical doctor or allergy specialist. If you’re allergic to any ingredients in toothpaste, speak to your dentist about what extra measures you can take to protect your teeth.
Patients at “high decay risk” may be recommended by their dentists to use a higher strength fluoride toothpaste or mouthwash. A person may be at higher risk of developing decay if:
e.g. arthritis of the wrist, or other disability
When used as recommended by your dentist, fluoride toothpaste is safe. Like all things in life the amount is important. Home dental products have a low level of fluoride. There has been no evidence to link regular use of fluoride toothpaste to any conditions other than fluorosis.
Children, however, may be prone to swallowing excessive amounts of toothpaste due to its mint or bubblegum flavour. While swallowing a small amount of toothpaste is generally considered safe, ingesting large amounts can cause symptoms such stomach pain, possible intestinal blockage or other problems.
147 Middleborough Road
Box Hill South, VIC 3128